Wednesday 25 April 2012

"Space, the final frontier."

Me and my parents are currently trekking (oh GOD) through the second series of Star Trek: The Next Generation. "Elementary, dear Data" involves the crew hanging out with Professor Moriarty on a Sherlock Holmes themed holodeck. Moriarty realises he isn't actually real; getting all sad and deciding not to cause havoc with his weird steampunk machine -- and it's crumpets all round. The secrets of space are so much clearer to me now.


Oh what is happening. I still get misty-eyed and nostalgic about Trek, probably from when I watched it as a child and thought the painted polystyrene was real rock. Galaxy Quest has it bang on; it's a lot dafter than I remember! There's a Robin Hood one I believe.

Also, at junior school, our maths teacher used to play us the theme tune as we were getting ready for class, and we'd sing "Welcome to Numeracy Hour, Planet Pythagoras here we come, dun dun dun dun!". I don't know if this was actually in the curriculum, (or if it was just something the top set did, maybe the bottom set had Red Dwarf, JOKE), but I hope they still do it because it made me loathe maths less.

Continuing the space theme...


Snippet of 'A Trip to the Moon', a short film from 1902, hand-coloured and with music by AIR.

No comments:

Post a Comment