Thursday 7 March 2013

Ceci n'est pas une blog beauté.

I heard somewhere about a gynecologist who got sick of vaginas because he saw enough of them at work. Oh yes, it was an episode of Friends.

My job involves lots of writing about beauty products, so I thought I'd get sick of all that make-up and skincare stuff by the time I got home. But no, I find myself wanting to write about it in my spare time, like an actual girl.

So instead of the usual pretentious bollocks, here are my TOP 12 BEAUTY FAVES!



Frontcover Eyeshadows and Shadow Liner
I can see a rainbow? A colourful selection of baked bright eyeshadows, plus a clear liquid liner so you can line your eyes with them too. Genius!

Revlon Just Bitten Lip Balm and Stain in Twilight

Twilight is an appalling book, but this lippy shade leaves a lovely stain and has a nice softening balm to boot. The name 'Just Bitten' reminds me of Hannibal Lecter or a bad case of bedbugs.

Max Factor Clump Defy Volumising Mascara

This lasts all day without doing that annoying greasy, smudgy thing that some mascaras like to do. And indeed, no clumps in sight!

Cheap, cheerful and pale as Kate Moss, these are great for touching up my face throughout the day. Ooo, ooo yes. Sorry.

Bourgois Little Round Pot Blusher in Rose D'Or
One of my absolute faves, I've been loyal to this for years. It's easy to apply, looks and smells beautiful (what IS that smell?), and gives a radiant, English Rose glow.

Simple Kind To Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser
Sometimes the simplest things are best. This takes care of my dry patches, makes a great base for make-up and has no irritating ingredients. A true bargain!

Quinoderm Cream

It's not very glamorous, but neither's the facefull of spots I get if I don't use this stuff religiously. The bleached towels and initial dryness are totally worth it.

Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Liner in Ultra Violet
A new find but already an essential. This stays put all day, so I don't have to keep sneaking off to apply it every few hours to avoid the dreaded "no eyes" look. 

Max Factor Facefinity Compact in Pale as Fuck
Max is a real man don't you know? This foundation is one of the only ones that stays put on my oily skin, without it looking mask-like. 

sk:n Vitamin-Rich Cleanser for oily skin
I saw a massive improvement in my skin after switching to this cleanser, it really helps to keep 'monster' zits at bay. Skip washing your face at your own peril!

Bravura Glycolic Acid 15% Night Treatment
My trusty miracle cream. My boyfriend says this stuff tastes salty (that'll be the 15% glycolic acid) so remember to warn people before you snog them.

Could this below be my number 13? Oh I hope so. The colours, the rubbish puns, the 1970s Mystic Meg packaging, the ridiculous price...



Next time, Power Dressing for the Office! It'll probably include cardigans and boring shoes.

Here are some blogs that do beauty better than me: my friend Camilla's blog IDEA YOU GAVE ME A FRIGHT DEAR, my workmate Emily's Nail Files, the inspiring Katie's Beauty Blog and the Boots Beauty Blog (which I write for sometimes, guh).

P.S. Cloud Atlas was amazing. See, I had to stick something pretentious in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment