Thursday 2 February 2012

Inevitable BEFORE WATCHMEN post.

I don't know exactly how I feel about this. It's like enjoying a cake that you know has been stolen.


Alan Moore is turning in his still alive, and he's justified in calling the prequels "completely shameless". He always made it clear how he felt about this; DC have gone ahead and done it anyway! Soulless corporate shits!

BUUUT. These new issues are never going to be canon, they're not pretending to be anything but a tribute, they're essentially glorified fanfiction and on that level I'll probably really enjoy them. Alsooo (this has been brought up so many times now that the argument seems a little desperate), would the authors of the characters Moore used in Lost Girls and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen think he was equally shameless hmmm?

Though on that point, they'd been dead a while and Moore had employed the characters in a whole new concept so it's nothing like this but it is and oh dear me I'm even boring myself now!

Making these prequels is totally missing the point of the original and yes I bet DC have big ol' dollar signs in their hungry eyes, but they could actually just be well, really good.. I love Watchmen. And I couldn't say no to MOAR WATCHMEN. It would be ignorant to hate these new interpretations without even reading them.

If they mess it up though I'll cry and bitch like I did when I saw the abomination that was BBC's Gormenghast. I'm still getting over that beast. But I hope I've made a reasonably fair comment, feel free to join me in heated discussion if you so desire.

Maybe Saturday Morning Watchmen will actually get made now haw haw haw. Poor Alan.

No comments:

Post a Comment